Skip to Content, Navigation, or Footer.
Logo of The Mercer Cluster
Sunday, Dec 5, 2021

5 Things: MerServe’s Hunger Week, the latest in Primaries & more

MerServe's Hunger Week continues with a new event everyday to combat hunger issues in Macon.
MerServe's Hunger Week continues with a new event everyday to combat hunger issues in Macon.


The hashtag spread on Twitter over the weekend after the results from Kesha’s lawsuit against her producer, Lukasz Gottwald (Dr. Luke), were announced. Kesha filed suit against Dr. Luke in October 2014, accusing him of drugging, raping and verbally abusing her. She also asked to be released from her contract. The request was denied on Friday, and Kesha is now obligated to record her next six albums with him. Fans and celebrities, including Lady Gaga, Demi Lovato and Lorde, flooded Twitter with the hashtag #FreeKesha to show their support. More celebrity support was shown by Taylor Swift who donated $250,000 towards the legal battle. Fans have also made a GoFundMe page. At this point, if a settlement is not made, then the suit will continue in court.

Miss New Jersey 2013 dies

Cara McCollum, Miss New Jersey 2013, was critically injured in a car accident last Monday after she spun off the highway into trees. McCollum was unable to make a full recovery and died earlier today. Her family announced the tragic loss on Facebook with a heartfelt message, “In the end, it’s not the years in your life that count. It’s the life in your years. ... We all will miss her now that she’s gone.”

Hunger Week

MerServe’s Hunger Week continues with a new event each day to create more awareness about hunger issues right here in Macon. Head on over to the CSC tonight at 6 for their Empty Bowls event where you can purchase a bowl of soup for $3. All proceeds will be donated to Macon's Daybreak center. Other events are set up to benefit the Middle Georgia Food Bank as well as the Backpack Buddies Program. See more details on the MerServe Facebook page to find out how you can get involved.

The latest in Primaries

Saturday’s results narrowed the presidential nomination field for the Republican Party. Donald Trump won the South Carolina primary with 32.5% of the vote followed by Marco Rubio with 22.5% and Ted Cruz at 22.3%.  The South Carolina winner has been favored to win the GOP nomination. Jeb Bush suspended his campaign. Bush's departure prevents the family from being the first father-and-sons trio to serve as President. Meanwhile, in Nevada, Hillary Clinton won the caucus with 52.6% of the votes, leaving Bernie Sanders with 47.4%. 

Shooting in Kalamazoo County

Saturday evening, a gunman shot eight different victims in Kalamazoo County, Michigan. According to CNN, Jason Brian Dalton has been charged with six counts of murder, two counts of assault with intent to commit murder and eight firearms charges. Authorities do not know of any motive for the shooting, viewing it as a random act of violence. Dalton even picked up people as an Uber driver in between the alleged murders. ABC News has reported that Dalton’s bail was denied and his next court appearance is set for March 3.


Powered by SNworks Solutions by The State News
All Content © 2021 The Mercer Cluster, Mercer University